Amos G. Avery Photographic Collection
Scope and Content
This collection gives a view of the scientific and personal lives of scientists within the early days of the Department of Genetics of the Carnegie Institution of Washington. This collection includes photographs, negatives and three scrapbooks. This collection is housed in boxes and the scrapbooks pages are falling apart in non-archival boxes. An interesting photograph caption says "Charles Lindberg comes to visit…" however, the image is so small, its virtually unrecognizable. Date range is 1926-1942.
A detailed list of the box contents can be found at http://library.cshl.edu/personal-collections/amos-g-avery/collection-inventory.
- Avery, Amos G. (Author, Person)
Language of Materials
3 linear feet (2 boxes)
The scrapbooks were received in an unorganized state with no obvious arrangement. Captions were included on some scrapbook pages. Photos were loose in the shipping box. Photos are randomly dated and identified. Negatives were identified in a series of handwritten index cards.
Box 1 contains four folders comprised of the three scrapbooks and an additional folder of loose photos. Box 2 contains five folders of film negatives and loose photos. When present, captions and original descriptions of photos and negatives have been noted. Additional descriptions have been provided by the processing archivist.
- Avery, Amos G.
- Blakeslee, Albert Francis, 1874-1954
- Carnegie Institution of Washington. Department of Genetics
- Cold Spring Harbor (N.Y.)
- Datura stramonium
- Davenport, Charles Benedict, 1866-1944
- Demerec, Milislav
- Eugenics Record Office
- Long Island (N.Y.)--History--20th century.
- Long Island Biological Association (N.Y.)
- Los Angeles (C.A.)
- MacDowell, E. Carleton (Edwin Carleton), 1887-1973
- Montauk (N.Y.)
- Negatives (photographic)
- Oheka (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.)
- Roosevelt Field (Garden City, N.Y.)
- Satina, Sophia A.
- Sinnott, Edmund W.
- Theodore Roosevelt Sanctuary & Audubon Center (Oyster Bay, NY)
- Walt Whitman Birthplace (West Hills, NY)
- Amos G. Avery Photographic Collection
- Finding Aid Prepared by Brian Soldo and Clare Clark. Inventory included into AS by Tom Adams.
- Language of description