Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Office of Technology Transfer Collection
Scope and Content
The Collection is divided into four record groups. The ICOS and Ed Harlow groups are arranged chronologically and the Cellbiology and General Administrative Files group are arranged alphabetically by folder title. Folder level date ranges are generally reflective of the material within. Whenever possible, original folder titles were retained. The ICOS Record Group is restricted due to confidentiality obligations. See each series descriptions for more details.
- Creation: 1972-1993
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1981 - 1984
Language of Materials
Some restrictions apply, see Archivist for details. Access is given only by appointment, 8:30 to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Archival materials must remain in the archival reading area. Item duplication is to be done by archivists. Fees are applied to copies made. Digital photography is permitted by users. Due to the very fragile nature of some materials in this collection, some are available through photocopies; others must be used under the supervision of an archivist.
The bulk of this Collection focuses on CSHL’s early forays into the world of Biotechnology. Research that was initially carried out in academic laboratories led to the development of recombinant DNA techniques. This in turn stimulated entrepreneurial scientists to create biotechnology companies. Recombinant DNA is the technology that allows us to insert genes from one organism into another to make it produce a protein product, copy the gene multiple times, or give it a new trait. The discovery of recombinant DNA was considered the "birth" of modern biotechnology.
4 boxes (5 linear feet)
The bulk of the Office of Technology Transfer Collection documents CSHL’s first forays into the world of Biotechnology. Additional administrative files are part of the Collection which cover a variety of administrative issues.
The Office of Technology Transfer Collection is divided into 4 Record Groups:
Cellbiology: 1972-1987 (2 boxes) ICOS: 1990-1991 (1/4 box) [Restricted] Harlow – E1A Patent: 1988-1992(1/4 box) General Administrative Files: 1981-1993(1 1/2 boxes)
The collection was received and processed in 2012.
- Feramisco, James (Person)
- Harlow, Edward (Person)
- Sambrook, Joseph (Person)
- Wigler, Michael, 1947- (Person)
- Amersham Corporation (Organization)
- Baxter Travenol Laboratories (Organization)
- Becton-Dickinson (Organization)
- Bristol-Myers Company (Organization)
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (Organization)
- Exxon Research and Engineering Company (Organization)
- Genetics Institute, Inc. (Organization)
- Perkins Coie LLP (Organization)
Genre / Form
- Office of Technology Transfer (formerly known as Office of Commercial Relations)
- Finding Aid Prepared by Amy Driscoll.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.