Skip to main content

Cold Spring Harbor Blueprints and Maps Collection

 Collection
Identifier: BPM

Scope and Content

The Cold Spring Harbor Map and Blueprint Collection consists of topographical maps, architectural drawings, pencil drawings, pencil sketches, and blue prints of the grounds and buildings over the course of one hundred and forty years. The collection is organized into one series arranged chronologically. The material falls into four formats: blueprints, maps and surveys; drawings and photographs.

A detailed list of the box contents can be found at http://library.cshl.edu/special-collections/maps-and-blueprints/collection-inventory.

Dates

  • 1855-2000

Creator

Language of Materials

Bulk in English; German as secondary language.

Access Restrictions

Some restrictions apply, see Archivist for details. Access is given only by appointment, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Use Restriction

Archival materials must remain in the archival reading area. Item duplication is to be done by archivists. Fees are applied to copies made. Digital photography is permitted by users. Due to the very fragile nature of some materials in this collection, some are available through photocopies; others must be used under the supervision of an archivist.

Historical Note

At the end of the 19th century, the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences founded a laboratory for training high school and college teachers in marine biology. As biologists and naturalists of that time worked out the consequences of Darwin’s theory of evolution, they often established their laboratories at the seashore, where there was an abundance of animals and plants for study. In 1889, John D. Jones gave land and buildings (formerly part of the Cold Spring Whaling Company) on the southwestern shore of Cold Spring Harbor to the Brooklyn Institute for Arts and Science (BIAS). BIAS used the Jones gift to established its presence in Cold Spring Harbor as the Biological Laboratory (Bio Lab) engaged in science research and training of secondary school teachers. In 1917 the Bio Lab officially became one of the four departments of the BIAS (along with the Brooklyn Art Museum, Brooklyn Botanical Garden and Brooklyn Zoo) and an endowment was raised from contributions of interested Cold Spring Harbor neighbors. In 1924 BIAS turned over the administration and ownership of the Biological Lab to the Cold Spring Harbor community and it incorporated as the Long Biological Association (LIBA). LIBA continued as a scientific research and educational institution, funded by local residents and a far reaching list of private donors. This collection of maps, surveys and blueprints is a representation of the evolution of the property and building as various educational entities used and developed.

Extent

50 linear feet (17 Boxes)

Overview

This is a collection of blueprints, surveys, drawings and maps, many with handwritten notes. Included are the original blue prints for many buildings at CSHL and topographical depictions grounds in the Village of Laurel Hollow and Nassau County that were leased or owned by the Carnegie Institute of Washington, Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences, Long Island Biological Association and Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.

Arrangement Note

This collection is arranged chronologically with those materials without dates at the end in a separate box. The material falls into four formats: blueprints, maps and surveys; drawings and photographs. Material was found in boxes labeled “Unprocessed maps and blueprints”. The boxes numbered with the “A” after the box number indicates a box to accommodate large flat documents. The boxes were numbered to keep the chronological arrangement. The collection was processed using the “More Products, Less Process: Revamping Traditional Archival Processing” (American Archivist, Vole 68 (2005) p208-263. http://ahc.uwyo.edu/documents/faculty/greene/papers/Greene-Meissner.pdf).

Provenance

These records have been stored on site since their creation, originally in administrative offices under various Laboratory Directors until their removal to the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Library and Archives. Most of the material designates the institution that commissioned the work: Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences, Carnegie Institution of Washington, Long Island Biological Association and Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. During most of its existence the facilities shared directors, certain staff and buildings, with three related peer institutions: 1) Carnegie Institute of Washington 2) The Long Island Biological Association and 3) Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. This shared leadership created an intermingling of these institutions’ administrative files including the blueprints and maps. It is recommended that this collection be researched in conjunction with Related Collections. This collection was processed in July 2012.

Related Collections

The Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory collections directly related to these materials include: the Carnegie Institute of Washington, Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences, Long Island Biological Association and Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Collections.

Acknowledgment

This collection was processed with funding provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) Basic Processing Grant.

Acknowledgment

This collection was processed with funding provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) Basic Processing Grant.
Title
Cold Spring Harbor Blueprints and Maps Collection
Author
Finding Aid Prepared by E. D. Pessala.
Date
2012
Language of description
Finding aid written in English

Repository Details

Part of the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Archives Repository

Contact:
Library & Archives
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
One Bungtown Rd
Cold Spring Harbor NY 11724 USA
516-367-6872