Clarence G. Campbell Collection
Scope and Contents
The Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Archives houses the personal papers of Clarence Gordon Campbell. The collection ranges from 1921 to 1938. The Collection is entirely comprised of Clarence G. Campbell’s Personal Papers and all of his papers are contained under one record group. This collection contains correspondence, manuscripts, clippings, reprints, published journals, lecture notes, and speeches/addresses. His career as eugenicist, scientist and writer are well documented in this collection.
- Campbell, Clarence G., 1868-1956 (Person)
Language of Materials
Archival materials may be used for research purposes only. Usage of material to support decisions about the person who is the subject of the materials, or in a way that causes substantial damage or distress to them is prohibited. When visiting the physical repository, archival materials must remain in the archival reading area. Item duplication is to be done by archivists. Fees are applied to copies made. Digital photography is permitted by users. Due to the very fragile nature of some materials in this collection, some are available through photocopies, while still others must be used under the supervision of an archivist.
Biographical / Historical
Dr. Campbell was born Clarence Gordon Campbell on April 28, 1868 in Marshall Field, Indiana. He married Helen Fahnestock and on January 28, 1897, the couple had one daughter, Helen Campbell (who would go on to marry Captain Clarence G. Michalis, 104th Field Artillery Division and have a son Clarence F. Michalis).
3 boxes (1 linear foot)
The Clarence G. Campbell Collection documents the career of Clarence G. Campbell, noted eugenicist and first president of the Eugenics Research Association. The collection consists of typescripts or reprints of articles, news clippings, ephemera, and letters.
The finding aid for this collection has been intellectually arranged into four series: reprints, manuscripts, correspondence, and ephemera. The ephemera series also contains published journals. The items are listed within the series in date order.
The finding aid does not represent the physical arrangement of the collection. During the acquisition process, the donor stated that this collection has not been touched since C. G. Campbell’s death and that the files are all considered to be in original order. After processing the collection, there does not appear to be an established coherent original order (i.e. not organized by date, subject, author, etc.). Therefore, the finding aid has been composed to impart intellectual order; but the physical material remains in C.G. Cambell's original arrangement.
The collection is arranged among 3 boxes and 11 folders.
The Clarence G. Campbell Collection was donated by Clarence Michalis (grandson of Clarence G. Campbell) in 2009 via Philip Reilly.
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Archives, 1 Bungtown Road, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724 Phone: (516) 367-8414 Fax: (516) 367-6843 Email: email@example.com
- Bacheller, Irving (1859-1950)
- Baker, O. E. (Oliver Edwin) (1883-1949)
- Blakeslee, Howard Walter (1880-1952)
- Campbell, Clarence G., 1868-1956
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Cold Spring Harbor (N.Y.)
- Cook, Robert C. (Robert Carter) (1898-1991)
- Cooper, Frank (1869-1946)
- Crocker, William H. (William Henry)
- Curtis, Ottis F.
- Darwin, Leonard (1850-1943)
- Davenport, Charles Benedict, 1866-1944
- Dublin, Louis I. (Louis Israel), 1882-1969
- Eugenics -- Periodicals
- Eugenics Research Association
- Fisher, Irving, 1867-1947
- Flowers, Robert Lee (1870-1951)
- Goethe, C. M. (Charles Matthias) (1875-1966)
- Hodson, Cora B. S. (Cora Brooking Sanders)
- Huntington, Ellsworth (1876-1947)
- Johnson, Albert (1869-1957)
- Keith, Arthur, Sir (1866-1955)
- Laughlin, Harry Hamilton, 1880-1943
- Little, C. C. (Clarence Cook) (1888-1971)
- Long Island (N.Y.)
- Lorimer, Frank (1894-1985)
- Lowden, Frank Orren (1861-1943)
- Manuscripts (document genre)
- Merriam, John C. (John Campbell), 1869-1945
- Norton, Marion S. (Marion Stephenson) (1888-)
- Osborn, Frederick Henry
- Osborn, Henry Fairfield (1887-1969)
- Perkins, Harry Innes (1862-)
- Riddle, Oscar (1877-1968)
- Spengler, Joseph J. (Joseph John) (1902-1991)
- Storer, Florence Edith
- Van der Lyn, Theodore N.
- Wilmer, William Holland (1863-1936)
- Clarence G. Campbell Collection CGC
- Finding Aid prepared by Lara E. Tewes Updated by Tom Adams
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note