Welcome to CSHL ArchivesSpace
About CSHL ArchivesSpace
This site provides centralized access to detailed written descriptions (known as finding aids) of manuscripts (letters, diaries, lab notebooks, images and other personal papers), historical institutional records, and other primary source research materials. Links to digitized materials are included within the "Collection Overview" hierarchy when available. New content is added on a regular basis.
Other Important Online Tools
This site is only one of our important online resources. CSHL Archives resources include:
- CSHL ArchivesSpace - Finding aids of collections within the CSHL Archives.
- Oral History - Over 100 interviews with prominent molecular biologists.
- History of Science - Science history meetings on topics in molecular biology. Videos of presentations online.
- CSHL Symposia - Iconic annual symposium at CSHL.
- Archives Repository - Digitized collections of Watson, Brenner and Muller.
- Digital Collections - Digitized Collections archived with Digitool.
- Guide to the HGP - An Annotated Scholarly Guide to the Human Genome Project.
- CSHL Archives Website - Collections listed.
- Center for Humanities - Exhibits, Fellowships, Talks, Events, Scholarship.
What is a finding aid?
A finding aid is a research tool which describes an archival resource and facilitates discovery of information about specific subjects, people, places, or events within it. A finding aid can help you determine whether the resource it describes might be relevant to your information needs. The level of detail will vary between finding aids but they generally supply core information such as the size, date span, subject coverage, and arrangement of resources. Some will also include an administrative history or biographical note, scope and content note, and/or inventory of boxes, folders or items.
Contact our archivists about:
- questions on archival resources or items within them
- making an appointment to view original materials
- reproduction requests
- materials you are unable to find through the portal